A software engineer can make $280,000. A director of software engineering can make nearly $400,000. A communications manager joined Google for $251,000. A climate market strategy and investments director was hired at $272,000.
Google is one of the best-paying tech companies — and that’s before the lavish perks and enviable stock grants. And while Microsoft, Uber,
and others may be hitting the brakes on hiring (at least for now), it appears to be business as usual for Google recruiters.
Although the Alphabet-owned company does not share how much it pays employees, it is required to disclose salary offers in work-visa applications submitted to the US Office of Foreign Labor Certification. Insider combed data from the office, which authorizes hiring non-US employees then publicly releases the data.
The data does not include stock grants that can significantly increase total compensation, but it is a valuable guide to Google salaries for a variety of positions. It also does not reflect every position at the company, just those for which Google has submitted visa applications for.
The majority of the analyzed salaries, from the first quarter of 2022, represent workers in California, Washington, and New York. The highest-paid people in the data set is a duo of software engineering directors in New York who were each offered $385,000, while the lowest-paid person is a cloud technical resident in Texas who was offered $78,000.
Google also hired a climate market strategy and investments director in California, offering them $272,000. An employee at the company’s X moonshots division holds that same title, and is focused on projects for solving the climate crisis.
Insider dug through the thousands of disclosed salaries that represent engineers, managers, and more. The broad categories are taken from filings by the Department of Labor’s Office of Foreign Labor Certification. Roles are listed below only if there are at least five candidates. Total number of visa applications submitted for that title during this period are in parenthesis.
When you are done checking out the data below, take a look at Insider’s Big Tech salary database to see how much Apple, Facebook, Microsoft, Amazon, and other companies pay their workers.
Accountants and auditors
- Accountant (5 applicants): $116,000 to $148,000
Business intelligence analysts
- Business systems analyst (12): $125,000 to $178,000
- Product analyst (7): $101,000 to $155,000
- Product manager (5): $167,000 to $188,000
- Program manager (11): $126,000 to $200,000
- Sales operations associate (7): $120,000 to $177,000
- Solutions consultant (17): $105,000 to $200,000
Computer and information research scientists
- Research scientist (10): $141,000 to $216,000
Computer and information systems managers
- Engineering manager (12): $184,000 to $257,000
- Product manager (5): $151,000 to $194,000
- Technical program manager (7): $169,000 to $235,000
Computer Hardware Engineers
- Hardware engineer (19): $133,000 to $200,000
- Silicon engineer (17): $133,000 to $230,000
- Technical program manager (6): $140,000 to $174,000
Computer Systems Engineers/Architects
- Sales engineer (18): $114,000 to $204,000
- Solutions consultant (21): $78,000 to $180,000
- Technical solutions consultant (17): $112,000 to $185,000
- Financial analyst (13): $104,000 to $171,600
- Interaction designer (27): $125,000 to $191,000
Information Security Analysts
- Security engineer (10): $125,000 to $227,000
- Strategist trust and safety (7): $110,000 to $163,000
Market Research Analysts and Marketing Specialists
- Product marketing manager (10): $129,000 to $215,000
Software Developers, Applications
- Application engineer (16): $106,000 to $195,000
- Product manager (27): $120,000 to $249,000
- Program manager (22): $118,000 to $272,000
- Software engineer (1273): $98,500 to $265,000
- Technical program manager (31): $130,000 to $212,000
Software Developers, Systems Software
- Software engineer (33): $132,000 to $280,000
- Software engineer site reliability engineer (6): $128,000 to $160,000
- Test engineer (13): $108,000 to $191,000
- Software engineering director (2): $385,000
- Data scientist (17): $113,000 to $200,000
- Product analyst (5): $126,000 to $151,000
- Strategist trust and safety (6): $112,000 to $143,000
Supply Chain Managers
- Program manager (8): $114,000 to $173,000